As I write this, I’m waiting for a random Lich King Dungeon for my mage, who is now 75, thank you very kindly, and I’m amazed by how long it takes to form a group.
Compared to, of course, level 80 instances that I DPS on my hunter.
Or any level instance when I queue as a healer or as a tank.
Hell, queueing up as a healer AND a tank means you’re never going to ever, ever wait. It’s hilarious. I’ve done the random heroic every day (from Wednesday on) on my paladin, queued as both a healer and a tank and so far, I have tanked: Nexus, Forge of Souls, Azjol-Nerub and Trial of the Champion. I have healed nothing.
Ooh, VH for my mage!
…Interlude for discussion of VH-related fail…
… the DK tank just wiped us on the first boss. Granted, it was the kite boss. But, the DK tank hasn’t dropped death and decay once and he had no presence up WHATSOEVER, much less FROST presence, until wave 5.
By the end of the second boss, the DK tank seems to have learned to drop D&D, has been in Frost Presence and has hauled ass to portals in a reasonable manner.
And yet, by the end of the instance, it appears that the DK tank did not learn from his mistakes. At all.
Happily, the healer was also from Proudmoore, so we queued up for a random dungeon together, with her in her tank spec (she’s a druid) and got the same ele shammy as in VH, plus a priest and a ret pally. We ran DTK randomly and VH (not randomly). How is it possible to reset a dungeon from within the cross-realm LFG interface? We couldn’t seem to reset DTK.
Anyways, it’s nice — my mage made a friend. And is 3 bars from 76!
Right, so, where was I? Oh, yeah, queueing up as a tank AND a healer.
So those are the two roles for my druid, right? So I’ve taken to doing this before I queue:
– check spec.
– put on opposite-spec gear.
– queue for whatever I want.
– get called in to tank or heal and, once zoned, only have to change EITHER spec OR gear to match the role I’m in.
Basically, I’m sitting there in tank spec with healing gear on, but my queues generally go like this:
Tank, tank, tank, tank, healer, tank, tank, healer, tank, tank, tank, tank… tank.
There ARE no tanks out there for lower level instances and so very few at higher levels.
In other news, thanks to some gratuitous trash-farming, Kurn has the Ashen Band of Vengeance while, due to a guild ICC25 and a pug ICC10, Madrana has the Ashen Band of Wisdom. Kurn has yet to kill a single boss in ICC (though not for lack of trying on Deathwhisper 25), whereas Madrana has killed them all twice already, once on 25 and once on 10.
My thoughts on ICC:
– Trash is icky unless you know what you’re doing.
– The first four bosses are basically a review of Black Temple with a hint of SSC and just a sprinkle of Hyjal.
– Marrowgar might be a little overtuned in 10s, but seemed like a pushover in 25. I worked HARD in that 10-man pug, which was mostly some guild’s run. They’re not amazingly geared, but they’re good enough that they shouldn’t have had to struggle as much as they did. This fight steals from SSC’s Leotheras the Blind (whirlwind), Hyjal’s Archimonde (the fire, although it doesn’t chase you) and BT’s Naj’entus.
– Deathwhisper is a little overtuned in 25m, I think. The big Death and Decays are fine, the deformed fanatics/adherents are fine, the resistance to various forms of damage based on mob type, all fine. The MC + the Curse of Torpor need to go or at least be nerfed on 25 or else your cleansers/CCers HAVE to be on their game. 10m is a freaking pushover in comparison. This fight steals from the Shade of Akama fight, in that you deal primarily with adds until the boss comes out.
– Gunship Battle is HILARIOUS. I love it. The guild one-shotted it, I believe, and the 10-man only took four attempts or so. Got it by the skin of our teeth, mind you. But we got it anyways. :)
– Deathbringer Saurfang. 3 tries on 25m. 2 tries on 10. And I even got this on 10m:
That’s I’ve Gone and Made a Mess, which was originally a reference to our good ol’ buddy Moroes in Karazhan, because Saurfang originally Garrotted, the way Moroes did.
– The best item in the ENTIRE GAME, hands-down, drops off 25m Deathwhisper: Zod’s Repeating Longbow. I haven’t seen it, but it’s in the drop table at wowhead and OMG. Reference to Superman II? WIN. “Kneel, son of Jor’El! Kneel before Zod!” God, I love that movie. If Kurn can get this bow, ever, I may never replace it. Okay, so I probably would in Cataclysm, eventually, but it would sit in my bank right next to my Rhok’delar.
Other achievements I’ve recently gotten include the BEST-NAMED ONE EVER.
That’s “We’re Not Retreating; We’re Advancing in a Different Direction.” I got that with my RL friend, the resto druid and three of “our” guildies, although I was on my hunter which not everyone knows about. I laughed my ass off when I got it.
I’ve also been getting a lot of rep while doing the new dungeons. Madrana got these:
And Kurn got:
Both Kurn and Madrana have gotten:
Which brings us back to LFG and the dungeon tool.
There I was. Level 71. Tanking, on my druid, in Azjol-Nerub. (As if I don’t deal with Anub’arak enough as it is!) I’m in with a 74 rogue and a 76 DK, as well as a 73 mage and a 72 priest.
I can’t keep aggro off the 76. And have trouble with the 74 at times. And because I’m always taunting off of them, it’s tough to get aggro back from the healer. So I basically stopped worrying about them and worried about the healer. Because, as we all know, if the tank dies, it’s the healer’s fault, if the healer dies, it’s the tank’s fault and if the DPS dies, it’s their own damn fault, right? :D
So the DK is all like “wow tank how come you cant hold aggro?” And I mention that he’s never on my target, so yeah, he’s going to pull aggro. And then I say:
Me: “I’m trying to taunt off the priest and so my taunts aren’t up for you.”
Him: “thats what im doin waht ddid u think i was doin to boss” (I think this was referencing keeping on my target.)
Me: “Watch your Omen. If you don’t have it, get it. Better, run an instance that’s suitable for your level.”
DK: “funny mate funny”
Me: “True, I can’t keep aggro from a level 76. I’m not supposed to.”
DK: “still ur a tank”
Healer: “a tanks job is to keep aggro off the healer, a dps job is to keep aggro off himself now lets stop arguing”
DK, to me: “u cant ever hold agro off all us so stop telling me what to do”
Me: “You really don’t understand the mechanics of this game…”
DK: “what fuck u talkin about now”
DK: “what u think im doin”
Of course, this was all happening during the trash and boss fight for the second boss in Azjol-Nerub. So as soon as we were done:
I’m going to write three how-tos, I believe. How to Behave as a Tank/Healer/DPS in random dungeons.
The overriding rule to them all is, of course, don’t be a fucktard dick.
2 Replies to “LFG, ICC and other assorted acronyms.”
Hi, is this a custom theme or can it be downloaded for free? Thanks.
Hi Denis. The theme is FastTrack, available for free:
I just replaced the main image with a header of my own design. :)
Comments are closed.